Compassionate and Capable Legal Representation
Losing a loved one is a tremendously painful experience, and one that can be made more difficult if their death was preventable. When another's negligence or wrongful act plays a role in the death of your loves one, it's important to know that you may be able to take legal action to secure justice and compensation.
By working with a wrongful death lawyer from the Law Offices of Luvell L. Glanton, you can have the support to take your claim to court and hold the at-fault party accountable. Our lawyers understand that this is a difficult time, and we place an emphasis on providing compassionate, personalized, and experienced representation to get you through this time and the legal journey ahead.
Tennessee's Wrongful Death Law
A wrongful death case is a lawsuit in which it is asserted that one person intentionally, recklessly or negligently caused the death of another person.
Wrongful death cases can arise because of automobile wrecks, truck wrecks, bus wrecks, medical errors, pharmacist errors, fall injuries, construction accidents, and a large number of other situations.
Who has the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit?
Answer: Generally speaking, these are the rules for who may file a wrongful death lawsuit inTennessee:
- A lawsuit for the death of a husband can be filed by his wife, his executor or the administrator of his estate.
- A lawsuit for the death of a wife can be filed by her husband, her executor, or the administrator of her estate.
- If a person is single at the time of his or her death, the lawsuit can be maintained by his or her adult children or, if there are no adult children, by his or her parents. The lawsuit can also be filed by an executor or administrator.
- If a person is a single minor at the time of death, the lawsuit can be maintained by his or her parents. If the parents are divorced, special rules apply. The lawsuit can also be filed by an administrator.
- If the decedent did not leave a spouse or child and was predeceased by his or her parents, the law permits a sibling to file suit. The lawsuit can also be filed by an executor or administrator.
- There are exceptions to these general rules. An experienced wrongful death lawyer can explain whether an exception is applicable if he or she is advised of the nature of the family situation.
In order to recover damages, it must be proven that another's negligence, carelessness, or wrongful act resulted in the death of your loved one. How this legal element will be established in your case will depend on a number of factors. If, for example, another driver caused a fatal car accident after running a red light, they can be held liable for compensating the survivors of the decedent. Once liability has been established, damages may include the following:
- The value of lost support and services (from the date of injury to death)
- Lost support and services
- Loss of companionship and protection
- Mental pain and suffering
- Loss of parental companionship, instruction, and guidance
- Medical and funeral expenses
- Net accumulations
In cases that involve intentional misconduct or gross acts of negligence committed by the wrongdoer, survivors can seek punitive damages as a way to further punish at-fault parties and to deter others from committing similar acts, drunk driving accident cases, for example, may involve punitive damages.
Work With a Compassionate Wrongful Death Lawyer in Nashville
Having guided numerous families through the emotional turbulence of these experiences and the complexities of the claim process, we have become well-tuned to the needs of those we serve. Knowing full well just how difficult a wrongful death can be, our attorneys make it our unwavering mission to remain available 24 / 7 and to always offer our genuine support. Additionally, we draw from our extensive experience and specializations in civil litigation to ensure that wrongdoers are held accountable for their actions and that families recover the compensation they deserve.
If your loved one has recently passed at the hands of another, place your trust in a firm that truly cares about helping you rebuild your life. Passionate and prompt, our legal team will respond immediately to your request for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Discuss your needs, voice your questions and concerns, and learn how our firm's compassionate, caring, and highly capable lawyers can help you surface from these turbulent seas.